Thursday, December 1, 2011

Six Weeks Out: SnowCon Terrain Prep Underway!

As you  can see, Tyler found our foam quite tasty after a few hours of terrain-ing!
I've spent quite a few hours over the last week fixing up the shop's existing terrain and building new terrain out of styrofoam and toothpicks with the tutelage and help of Tyler Emery.  Yesterday, Tyler and I went to our friendly local big box hardware store (FLBBHS,) and picked up a sheet of 3/4" pink insulation foam, followed up with a trip to the friendly local dollar store (FLDS,) for a lovely set of four "steak knives" and a box of toothpicks. 

Once our shopping spree was complete, we set to cutting, shaping and gluing our creations.  Our mad, mad minds came up with half a dozen new pieces of terrain.   We had to let them dry overnight because the only glue that does not melt styrofoam is Elmers glue, and, as any who graduated kindergarten can tell you, that stuff takes a long time to dry!  Our next step will be to hand paint the base coats and detail onto our new buildings.  Normal spray paint also melts foam, unfortunately.  Step two is a topic for another post, though....








... You didn't think I was done with this post did you?  The joke's on you!  Last Saturday I spent most of the afternoon and evening (until almost 1 AM, in fact) repairing and painting the existing terrain at the shop.  I only got about half of the current buildings done with the help of a few loyal shop-goers.   You can see the progress that we made above.  I wish I had taken a before photo to show the progress, but at best, these buildings were primer black with some hap-hazard dry-brushing work.  I am quite happy with how these buildings turned out and I can not wait to start on the other half of them!  I based most of the buildings with Adeptus Battlegray foundation from GW, and then highlighted with Fortress Gray, Bleached Bone, Boltgun Metal, and Dwarf Bronze.

On a complete side note, I would like to thank everyone who has shown interest in attending SnowCon thus far and I hope you are all as excited as I am for what is shaping up to be a lot of fun for everyone involved!  Stay tuned for more hobby/event updates soon.

3 comments:

  1. Airbrush wont melt foam ; ) just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler and I thought air brushing would not work very well. Perhaps I will try it in the future, but for now it is just a big tank brush and dark colors, go!

    ReplyDelete